The Super Bowl party is one of the things that WonderWife™ inherited when she hooked up with me. However, since she's a foodie like me, it’s only gotten better since she’s been the co-host. I love throwing this party and despite my tepid interest in sports, Super Bowl Sunday has become one of my favorite days of the year. It's my de-facto birthday party.
The planning of the party starts around Thanksgiving, when WW™ and I will start to brainstorm recipes. We toss out ideas to each other, forget those ideas and have to think of new ones. We eventually hone in on our choices mid-January.
We spend all weekend cooking. Come game time, WW™ and I are so busy in the kitchen that we barely even get to see any of the game...or the commercials. (I know there was a Simpsons Coke commercial this year, but I didn't see it.)
This year, we finished early and I did get to watch the 4th quarter. And I finally won a bet against my friend KK, who has taken my money for about 5 years in a row.
Even though I was asked to do so, I didn’t get a chance to take any pictures of the spread, but because some of you were curious, this is what WW™ and I cooked this year:
- Clam Dip – This is my friend Dimo’s favorite. It's clams, butter, onions, baked until bubbling and served with Ritz crackers.
- Deconstructed Potato Skins - Bacon, cheddar cheese, sour cream and chives served on top of a potato chip
- Caramelized Onion Flat Bread - Caramelized onions, Gala apples, crème fraiche on pizza dough
- Korean BBQ Short Rib Hash - Boneless short rib marinated in Korean BBQ spices, potato, onion, peppers
- Pate a Choux - Light pastry profiteroles filled with either spinach artichoke or smoked salmon dip
- Potato Chip Frittata - Mini Frittatas filled with onion, leek and carrot topped with crumbled potato chips.
- Chix in a Blanket - Chicken and bacon baked inside pockets of dough.
- Dessert Won Tons – Fried won tons filled with combinations of banana, strawberry, semi-sweet chocolate, Nutella and toasted coconut.
Before I go, can we have a giant shout out to WonderWife™? I know that I go on about her a lot on this here blog, but seriously this woman is kick-ass, she totally went above and beyond with today's party. Girl can roll out a flatbread like nobody's business. Totally put me to shame.